Feeding takes a lion’s share in the cost of production in poultry farming. It is important poultry farmers feed in the right quantity and quality; this is why poultry farmers must be conversant with the type and nutritional composition of all poultry feed ingredients used in feed formulation. A feed is of good quality when it contains the essential nutrients in the right quality and quantity
- It has high non-starch polysaccharides contents resulting in intestinal digesta viscosity problem.
- It has high fiber content, which makes it difficult to breakdown by chickens.
Rice bran commonly used as energy diluents in poultry feed; the disadvantages of rice bran in poultry feed are:
- Rice has high fiber,
- It contains phytic acid,
- Rice has a high degree of rancidity.
- The quality of the protein is very poor, it has a total digestible nutrient (TDN) of just 10%; it is extremely deficient in isoleucine.
- It contains antinutritional factor called haemagglutinin.
- It is not palatable to animals because of its bitter taste.
- It is deficient in several essential amino acids; it has low availability of amino acids.
- It is highly fibrous and contains chitin, which inhibits the digestibility of protein.
It is a source of protein in animal feed; it contains about 38% crude protein, the disadvantages of using cottonseed meal in high quantity are:
- It has high fiber content.
- It contains an anti-nutritional factor called Gossypol, which reduces the digestibility of protein.
The disadvantages of using palm kernel meal are:
- It has high fiber.
- It has poor texture and low palatability.