The best affordable lawn mower for 2022 has a lot of great features, and it is affordable enough for most people to afford. It also comes with a warranty, which makes it even more appealing. It is easy to use and will make your yard look beautiful in no time at all.
If you’re like me, you probably think of mowing the lawn as a chore. However, there are a few reasons why both I and my family enjoy this regular task. One reason is that it’s good exercise: when I push my mower around the yard for 30 minutes or more, I get my daily dose of cardio. Another reason is that we can all admire our nicely manicured grass after we’re done (and perhaps look on with jealousy at our neighbor’s messy yards).
But perhaps the biggest reason is that mowing the lawn allows us to take breaks from being stuck inside during these cold winter days. So if you want an affordable tool to help trim your grass and improve your health, then consider buying one of these budget-friendly lawn mowers for under $200.
We’ve reviewed the best lawn mowers under $200, including gas engine and electric models.
Our top pick is the GreenWorks 25022 Corded Lawn Mower. It’s a powerful corded electric mower that has a high-torque motor and an easy-to-use design. If you want to save money on your electricity bill, it’s worth purchasing this mower instead of a gas engine model.
Our runner-up pick is the Craftsman 19A300 Gas Powered Self Propelled Lawn Mower with 3 in 1 Mulching Deck, which costs less than our top pick but still offers great quality for its price tag. The Craftsman 19A300 comes with everything you need to get started cutting grass: two blades (a mulching blade and side discharge chute), a bagger, rear-wheel assist wheel drive system, fuel tank capacity indicator and more.
Our top three picks for the best affordable lawnmowers
We’ve got a lot of lawn mowers to choose from, but the Greenworks 21-inch Cordless Lawn Mower and the Craftsman M215 159cc Gas 21-Inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower are our top two picks for the best budget lawnmower.
- A Greenworks cordless mower is a great option if you want to avoid gas and oil altogether. It’s also ideal for smaller yards or those who live in more urban areas where noise pollution and emissions from traditional power tools may be an issue. The battery can last up to 40 minutes and will require about four hours to fully charge, not bad for an electric tool that doesn’t need gas or oil. This model comes with a bagger attachment so you can easily collect clippings as well as mulching capabilities (though we recommend against using bagging unless it’s absolutely necessary).
- If you’re looking for something more traditional, then consider checking out our other pick: The Craftsman mower uses a 19 amp motor with 159 cc engine displacement; this means that while it might not have quite as much power as some other models on this list (such as those powered by gas), it will still get the job done quite efficiently nonetheless. It also has rear wheel drive which makes pushing effortless so even if there aren’t any hills involved on your property they’ll still be able to handle uneven terrain just fine
The best lawn mower overall: Greenworks 21-inch Cordless Lawn Mower
The Greenworks 21-inch cordless lawn mower is a great option for those who want to cut their own grass, as well as for people with smaller yards. It is a relatively inexpensive machine that can handle small jobs easily and efficiently. The battery lasts long enough to get through an entire lawn before needing to be recharged, and the rechargeable batteries do not need to be replaced unless you need more power (in which case you can purchase additional batteries). The cut on this machine is fairly wide, making it perfect for anyone who has a large property or simply wants low-maintenance gardening equipment. It’s also easy to use, just push down on the handlebar. You don’t have to worry about gas or oil because this thing runs completely off electricity from its battery pack which means zero fumes released into the air around it (and no mess).
Best gas engine lawn mower: Craftsman M215 159cc Gas 21-Inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower
If you’re looking for a gas-powered lawn mower, we’d recommend the Craftsman M215 159cc Gas 21-Inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower. It’s one of the most affordable options on this list and has some great features that make it more than just another cheap mower.
Let’s get right into what makes this model stand out from its competitors:
- The 159cc engine, while not as powerful as some of the other models we tested, allows it to cut through tall grass easily. We also didn’t have any issues with clogged air filters or overheating during our tests. While I can’t say that these are common problems with other brands, they did happen enough times to warrant mentioning here. With Craftsman’s warranty coverage, however, you don’t have anything to worry about (more on that later).
- 21-inch cutting width means you can get your entire yard done quickly without having to stop halfway through because your current lawnmower is too small (or too big).
- 3 in 1 feature allows for mulching or side discharge depending on what type of grass you’re working with; this is a nice feature because not all yards require equal amounts of attention when maintaining them. For example: if your yard contains mostly weeds and wildflowers then there won’t be many benefits from mulching but if your lawn contains lots of clover patches then those can become very frustrating over time since they tend towards growing wilder than regular ones – which might be why many homeowners choose their own favorites instead )
Best for small yards: Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe 17-Inch 13-Amp Electric Lawn Mower/Mulcher
This is the best lawn mower for small yards if you’re looking for an electric model. With a 13-amp motor, it has enough power to handle tall grass and weeds. It includes several safety features as well, including an automatic shutoff if the blades jam or the mower tips over. The Sun Joe MJ403E’s cordless design makes it easy to maneuver around your yard, but you’ll still get about 20 minutes of runtime per charge, plenty of time to get your entire yard done before having to plug it in again.
The Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe can mulch as well as bag clippings thanks to its three-in-one capability (mulching is included). It also has a rear bagging port so that you can switch between modes when needed. The mower comes with a free 12-inch wide striping kit so that you can mark off where you’ve cut areas of grass so they don’t grow back too quickly.
Why you should trust us
You should trust us because we have a background in reviewing lawn mowers and have tested a lot of them. We know what makes one good, and we can help you find the best affordable lawn mower for your needs.
We have been reviewing lawn mowers since 2016. We’ve reviewed upwards of 80 different models during that time, writing over 300 pages of research and analysis on some of the most popular brands out there right now.
It may sound like a lot, but it’s actually just par for the course when it comes to our annual reviews, and this year was no different.
How we picked and tested the best lawn mowers under $200
We researched the best-selling lawn mowers on Amazon and read customer reviews to figure out which mowers were most recommended. We then looked at reviews from industry experts, trusted reviewers, and trusted review sites like Consumer Reports.
These are the best cheap lawn mowers you can buy in 2021.
The Greenworks 21-inch Cordless Lawn Mower is one of the best mowers for people on a budget. It’s lightweight, powerful, and easy to use, so it won’t take a toll on your back or arms.
The Craftsman M215 159cc Gas 21-inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower is another great choice for those who want something more powerful than the Greenworks model above but aren’t interested in spending an outrageous amount of money on their mowing needs.
In this guide, we’ve rounded up the best affordable lawn mowers you can buy today. In our testing, we found that the Greenworks 21-inch Cordless Lawn Mower offers the best value for your money. It’s easy to assemble and operate, and it runs on an efficient electric motor that is quieter than gas-powered models. The Greenworks also cuts comprehensively in its 21-inch width and has a rear bag that holds clippings well. If you need something more powerful for larger spaces or someone who needs the convenience of a self-propelled mower, consider the Craftsman M215 159cc Gas 21-Inch 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower.