When fall comes around, it’s time to start thinking about fertilizing your yard. If you have zoysia grass in your yard, you’ll want to make sure you’re using the best fall fertilizer for zoysia grass before the season ends.
Zoysia is a perennial grass that needs a lot of moisture and sunlight during the growing season. It is a slow-growing grass that needs to be mowed regularly, but if you want it to grow even taller and fuller, then you’re going to need some help from fertilizer.
The best fall fertilizer for zoysia grass will contain nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (NPK). These nutrients will help your lawn grow thicker and greener as well as protect against frost damage. You can use granular or liquid fertilizer on your yard depending on what works best for you.
If you have Zoysia grass, you know it’s a beautiful, hardy variety of turf. However, if you want your lawn to look its best next year, we recommend providing some fall lawn care. One of the best things you can do is to fertilize your lawn in the fall. Fertilizing in the fall can help your grass develop strong roots and get a jump-start on spring growth (especially when combined with aeration). To make sure that your Zoysia lawn gets exactly what it needs for the fall, use this guide and our reviews to choose one of the best fall fertilizer products for Zoysia grass.
Greenview Fairway Formula Fall Fertilizer
Greenview Fairway Formula Fall Fertilizer is a great choice for Zoysia grass. This slow-release fertilizer is balanced, contains nitrogen and potassium, and is water-soluble.
Greenview Fairway Formula Fall Fertilizer contains nutrients that will help your zoysia grass grow thick and strong in the fall months when growth slows due to cooler temperatures.
Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food
Scotts Turf Builder WinterGuard Fall Lawn Food is a multipurpose fertilizer that feeds your lawn all season long. The formula contains four essential nutrients and blends them with a pre-emergent herbicide to stop weeds from growing while you’re away. The slow-release formula will give your lawn the extra boost it needs over the winter months, keeping it green and healthy when other grasses are dormant.
Bayer Season Long Weed Control for Lawns
Bayer Season Long Weed Control for Lawns is a post-emergent herbicide that is designed to help control common weeds such as chickweed, oxalis, and crabgrass. It also contains 2% iron, which helps to green up your lawn. For best results use this product in early spring before weeds emerge or if you want a more natural approach, it can be used throughout the summer season as well–as long as there aren’t any rainy days (because they will wash away the spray).
EverGreen Complete 4 in 1
EverGreen Complete 4 in 1 is a liquid fertilizer that contains nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. It also contains iron, manganese, and zinc.
EverGreen Complete 4 in 1 also contains a number of other trace elements including boron, cobalt, copper, and molybdenum with several more micronutrients such as selenium and iodine. Evergreen Complete 4 in 1 also contains beneficial microbes that help reduce disease pressure on your lawn.
Southern Ag All-Purpose 5-10-10 Granular Fertilizer
Using a spreader is the best way to apply fertilizer. A spreader helps you apply fertilizer evenly and accurately, which prevents runoff and waste. Most spreaders are adjustable by turning a knob on top of the machine, but if you’re not sure how to set your machine, check with your local hardware store or visit their website for instructions on how to properly set up your machine for use with this product.
Jonathan Green & Sons Inc. Love Your Soil Lawn fertilizer
Jonathan Green & Sons Inc. Love Your Soil Lawn fertilizer is a 5-10-10 granular fertilizer for use on lawns. This product will help your lawn stay healthy and green throughout the year, especially in the fall and spring seasons.
It’s easy to apply: simply spread the fertilizer over your grass in early fall or early spring depending on what time of year you’re applying it. For best results, apply Jonathan Green & Sons Inc.’s Love Your Soil Lawn now and then again in late summer or early winter so that your Zoysia grass gets all its nutrients at just about every stage of growth for maximum growth potential.
How To Apply
To get the most out of your fertilizer, it’s recommended that you apply it in two separate applications: once before the end of October and again after the first frost. This method helps ensure that your lawn has all the nutrients it needs to survive winter.
- The first application should be applied around mid-September or so. Simply spread half of your fertilizer on one side of your lawn and then repeat with the rest for a full application.
- Your second application should be made sometime between October 15th and November 1st, depending on where you live (more info below). Spread half as much fertilizer this time around, as these last few weeks are crucial for growing grass before winter hits.
When To Apply
- Apply this fertilizer in the fall. It’s important to apply it at this time of year because your lawn is starting to go dormant and will have time to absorb this fertilizer before winter sets in.
- Apply a weed killer in the fall, which is also a good time for fertilizing. You can combine these two tasks together by using an herbicide that also contains nutrients for your lawn. If you’re not sure about how much weed killer you need for your area or if there are any restrictions on using it, check with someone at a local garden center or hardware store to find out what’s best for your situation.
- Fertilize when applying weed killers as well because they contain potassium (K), which most people don’t think about when it comes down to fertilizing their Zoysia grasses but are very important nonetheless. This will help nourish them while also helping them recover from any damage caused by weeds during the summer months.
- Fall is also an ideal time of year because it gives your grass plenty of time before winter arrives so that all those nutrients can sink deep into its roots where they’ll stay until next springtime when new growth starts popping up again.
Feeding your lawn in the fall is one of the best things you can do to have a beautiful lawn next year
Fall is the best time to fertilize your lawn. Fall fertilizers are easy to apply and promote root growth, green leafy growth, and good color
We’ve identified some of the best fertilizers for Zoysia lawns, but there are hundreds of different options to choose from. In the end, it comes down to your personal preference. What works for one person may not work as well for another. The key is to find a fertilizer that fits your budget and your lawn care needs. You can buy one at a local store or order it online from Amazon.