St. Augustine and Bermuda grass are two of the most popular types of lawns in America. If you have one of these types of lawns, you will want to make sure that your soil is healthy and that you are using the right type of fertilizer for it. There are many different types of fertilizer available on the market today, but not all of them are good for these types of grasses. Bermuda and St Augustine grass need a balanced fertilizer schedule to grow healthy, lush lawns.
Bermuda grass is a warm-season grass that thrives in areas with hot and humid conditions. It has deep roots, which makes it more drought-resistant than other grasses. St. Augustine grass is another warm-season grass that grows well in hot climates like Florida where it was first introduced from Argentina by settlers who brought it over with them when they came over from Europe during colonial times (it was once known as Spanish broom).
Fertilizer Requirement For Bermuda And St Augustine Grass
Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium are essential nutrients required by Bermuda and St Augustine grass. These nutrients must be available to plants in different forms and proportions all year round. The best fertilizer for Bermuda and St Augustine grass must contain Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and potassium in good quantity and quality.
The nutrient present in fertilizers plays an important role in the growth and development of the plant. Also, the purpose of the plant tells the level and types of nutrients the plant needs. Bermuda and St Augustine grass are lawn grasses grown primarily for their foliage. Nitrogen is the nutrient element that can support the growth of foliage in Bermuda and St Augustine grass. Hence, the fertilizer that contains a higher percentage of nitrogen will help the Bermuda and St Augustine grass develop greener foliage and lush appearance.
Bermuda and St Augustine grass also require potassium as well as phosphorus and magnesium. These nutrients are necessary for healthy root growth, which is important because St. Augustine grasses have shallow roots that tend to dry out during the summer months if their soil isn’t constantly replenished with nutrients.
Fertilizer Recommendation For Bermuda and St Augustine grass
Fertilizers for Bermuda and St Augustine grass come in different forms; there are liquid fertilizers and granules fertilizers. Furthermore, there are organic and inorganic fertilizers that can be applied to Bermuda and St Augustine grass based on their mode of action.
The slow-release granular fertilizer is the best for Bermuda and St Augustine grass; these fertilizers are made from natural materials. Here are some recommended slow-release fertilizers for Bermuda and St Augustine grass:
- Power Si Granular is the only, first of its kind slow release granular formula containing stabilized silica, and other proprietary ingredients.
- This combination plays a key role in releasing locked up nutrients from the soil.
- Power Si Granular provides a stable matrix to keep silica in an active state, which is available to the plants for an extended period (up to 30 days after application).
- facilitates fast, visible and structured periods of both vegetative and flowering growth.
Jobe’s Palm Tree Fertilizer Spikes 10-5-10 Time Release Fertilizer for All Outdoor Palm Trees, 5 Spikes per Package (3)
- 10-5-10 formula
- 5 palm spikes per selling unit
- Formulated with special micro-nutrients-sulfur, magnesium, iron, and zinc
- Additional nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium supplements other palm growing needs
Purple Cow Organics Raised Bed Mix, 1.5 Cubic Foot Bag, Safe & Naturally-Occurring Plant-Based, Small Farm or Garden Growing Media for Vegetables, Flowers, Fruits & More
- GROW HEALTHY FOOD- Purple Cow Organics Raised Bed Mix is an organic OMRI listed product. Have comfort knowing this mix has no harmful chemicals or heavy metals in it and you will grow safe and healthy vegetables, herbs, and fruits! It also is a plant-based compost mix that provides secondary and trace nutrients to your plants helping you grow nutrient dense food!
- PRODUCE, FLOWERS, AND SO MUCH MORE! Raised Bed Mix is a carefully crafted blend, perfect for growing your dream garden, from beets to blooms, and beyond.
- WEED SEED AND TOPSOIL FREE! Grow with confidence in the knowledge that your growing media includes all OMRI Listed ingredients and no topsoil or weed seeds
- HOLDS MOISTURE WELL! Water less often thanks to the sponge-like qualities of the organic matter provided by this compost-based mix
- PAIRS WELL! For best results use with Purple Cow Organics BioActive All-Purpose Fertilizer, Purple Cow BioActive Supercharger and/or Purple Cow CX-1!
How To Apply Fertilizer to Bermuda and St Augustine Grass
There are different ways to apply fertilizer to Bermuda and St Augustine grass. Slow-release fertilizer should be applied directly into the soil without having to worry about being washed. These fertilizers give an extra boost of nitrogen and phosphorus, which are both key nutrients. These fertilizers should be applied during the cool part of the day; the soil should be loosened before applying the fertilizer. The Bermuda and St Augustine grass should be watered immediately after fertilizer application.
When To Apply Fertilizer to Bermuda and St Augustine Grass
Bermuda and St Augustine grass should be fertilized once a year with a slow-releasing fertilizer; this will give your plant all the nutrients it needs throughout the season. The best time to fertilize Bermuda and St Augustine grass is early spring and fall after a frost. At this time of year, the plant is beginning its growth cycle and needs more nutrients than it did in the previous summer months.
Bermuda and St Augustine grass are popular lawn grasses that beatify the landscape and the environment. To help maintain the lush appearance of these lawn grasses, it is important to apply fertilizers. As indicated in the article, slow-release fertilizer is the best for Bermuda and St Augustine grass. It provides steady nutrients for the grasses without harming the environment, children, and pets. Any of the aforementioned slow-release fertilizers can be used on Bermuda and St Augustine grass. Ensure you follow the instruction written on the label before use.