The most common worms that dogs have are roundworms and tapeworms. Roundworms are the most common, and they can be transmitted to humans. They live in the digestive tract of dogs, puppies, and cats. Roundworms can cause your pet to become thin, weak, and lethargic. They can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death in puppies.
Tapeworms are not as common as roundworms but they are still a problem for pets. These worms can infect humans when they swallow them, so it is important to treat them as soon as you find out that your dog has them. Tapeworms can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs as well as humans, so it is important to treat them quickly before they get worse.
Over-the-counter dog wormers are made to treat worms in dogs. They contain chemicals that destroy the worm’s ability to grow and reproduce, thus preventing them from causing damage to your pet’s health. However, because these medicines come in many forms, it is important to know how they work and how to use them correctly.
Benefits Of Over The Counter Dog Wormer
Over-the-counter dog wormer is safe, easy to use, and effective. Most importantly, it is inexpensive. This means that you can save money by using over-the-counter products rather than going to a veterinarian for treatment.
Effects Of Over The Counter Dog Wormer
While there are many different types of worm medicine for dogs, the over-the-counter variety has proven to be effective in killing off worms and preventing infestations. It is safer than other types because it does not have any side effects on your dog’s health or behavior. You can use this type even if your dog is pregnant or nursing, which makes it ideal for older dogs with weak immune systems who may be at risk of getting sick from traditional worming medication.
The main benefit of OTC wormer is its ease of use: all you have to do is mix the powder or liquid form into the water and give it to your pooch. This simply means that even beginners who don’t know much about worming their animals will find that they can easily administer it every few months without any trouble at all.
How Does Over The Counter Dog Wormer Work
Over-the-counter dog wormer works by killing off the worms in your pet’s system that cause worms and other illnesses. The active ingredients, as listed on each product’s label, are active ingredients that will kill off these parasites.
Because there are so many types of over-the-counter dog wormer available on the market today, it can be hard to know which type is best for your pet’s unique needs.
When To Use Over-The-Counter Dog Wormer
- You want to prevent worms in your dog
- You see signs of worms in your dog. These include:
- Loose stool
- Vomiting blood or being generally unwell, lethargic, or weak.
- Your dog won’t eat or drink and has a sunken belly (you can check this by gently pressing down on the skin under their ribcage). If your dog is drinking less than usual and has lost weight then it may be possible that they have worms.
How To Use Over-The-Counter Dog Wormer
- Follow the instructions on the package. Every product is different, so it’s important to follow instructions carefully.
- Make sure your dog is at least 6 weeks old. Wormer products are not safe for puppies under 6 weeks old, and some products are only intended for dogs over 8 weeks of age. If you’re unsure how old your pup is, check with your vet.
- Make sure your dog is healthy and not sick or in pain. Your vet can advise you about whether a certain type of wormer will be appropriate for your dog based on their health history and current symptoms (if any).
- Make sure your dog isn’t pregnant or lactating. Some wormers aren’t safe during pregnancy or while nursing pups.
How Long To Use Over-The-Counter Dog Wormer
How long to use over-the-counter dog wormer depends on the product. Some products are for single use, others are for a single dose. Others still might be used as needed or as often as once per month, depending on the issue your dog may have.
Nemex-2 (pyrantel pamoate)
Nemex-2 is a prescription-only over-the-counter (OTC) medication for dogs that contains the active ingredient pyrantel pamoate. Nemex-2 is used to treat hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms in dogs.
Nemex-2 can be given as part of a treatment strategy for heartworm disease in combination with other medications. Although it doesn’t prevent heartworm disease, it may help to control symptoms while waiting for your dog’s body to fight off infection with other medications.
Canine Verm-X is an over-the-counter dog wormer that provides a combination of three veterinary-approved ingredients to kill roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. It’s even recommended by vets to treat dogs between 10 lbs. and 55 lbs.
The product contains piperazine, which kills tapeworms and prevents them from forming in your pet’s intestines by disrupting their life cycle; ivermectin, which cripples nerve cells in worms so they die; and praziquantel, which attacks tapeworm larvae living in the intestines by paralyzing them before they can mature into adults that produce more eggs.
Pro-Sense Liquid Dewormer
Pro-Sense Liquid Dewormer is a broad-spectrum dewormer for dogs and puppies. It’s easy to use, safe to administer, and can be used on dogs of all sizes.
Pro-Sense Liquid Dewormer contains pyrantel tartrate and fenbendazole, both effective at treating roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and tapeworms in dogs. It’s also safe for puppies as young as 6 weeks old.
Sentry HC WormX (pyrantel pamoate)
Sentry HC WormX (pyrantel pamoate) is an over-the-counter dog wormer that provides fast-acting, effective, and convenient deworming for dogs. It can be administered without measuring and mixing, making it easy to use.
- Active ingredient: Pyrantel Pamoate – 1.8%
- Dosage: Administer one tablet per 10 lbs of body weight (1/2 tablet for 5-9 lbs). If a dose is missed, skip the dosage on the next administration day and continue as prescribed by your veterinarian. Do not give 2 doses at one time to make up for missed ones. Give every month or once every three months depending on the type of infection being treated. This product can be used with other medications including heartworm preventatives as long as they are given 24 hours apart from each other but not within a 24-hour period.
- Side effects may include vomiting or diarrhea if more than the recommended dose is given; in these cases call a vet right away.
- Possible interactions include other medications so consult your vet before giving this product.
- Storage instructions: Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- How to administer: Give orally with food preferably during mealtime; if giving without food then wait 20 minutes after giving the first dose before eating.
- How do I store my product?: Store at room temperature no higher than 85 degrees F (30 degrees C), away from direct sunlight & heat
No Worm 4 Canines
No Worm 4 Canines is an over-the-counter dog wormer containing praziquantel, which kills tapeworms, roundworms, and hookworms. It also contains febantel, which takes care of hookworm larvae that may be present in your pup’s system.
What are the active ingredients?
Active ingredients: Praziquantel (0.5 mg/kg), Febantel (4 mg/kg)
Inactive ingredients: Corn Starch, Dibasic Calcium Phosphate Dihydrate, Disodium Edetate Anhydrous (0.1%), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
PetArmor 7-Way De-Wormer for Dogs
PetArmor 7 Way De-Wormer for Dogs is a deworming medication that can be used to treat and prevent worms in dogs. It comes in two forms: a chewable tablet or an oral suspension. The chewable tablets are available in four sizes; the smallest is for puppies weighing less than five pounds, while the largest is for dogs weighing over 100 pounds or more.
The oral suspension comes in two sizes: one for puppies weighing less than 10 pounds, and another for dogs weighing more than 10 pounds but no more than 100 pounds or so. Both forms are flavored with chicken liver flavor to encourage your dog to take them without any fussing or fighting.
Each dose provides protection against hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, tapeworms (including hydatid disease), fleas, and ticks.
Dosage instructions are included on all packaging; however, if you can’t find them at first glance then here’s how you should go about administering PetArmor 7 Way De-Wormer:
Strongid (pyrantel pamoate)
Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) is the best over-the-counter dog wormer for dogs, cats, and puppies. It’s available in tablets for easy oral administration and can be given to dogs from four weeks of age. It treats hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms in both dogs and puppies.
Drontal (praziquantel/pyrantel pamoate)
Drontal is an over-the-counter dewormer that is safe for puppies and dogs. This product contains praziquantel, a common ingredient in dog wormers.
Drontal for Dogs is an FDA-approved dewormer that is effective against hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms. It also kills lung flukes and heartworms. The active ingredients include Praziquantel (Bayer), and Pyrantel Pamoate (Eurax).
PetArmor Sure Shot 2x Liquid Dewormer
PetArmor Sure Shot 2x Liquid Dewormer for Puppies and Dogs is a fast-acting liquid that kills all major intestinal worms in dogs. It contains Praziquantel, Milbemycin Oxime, and Pyrantel Embonate which are FDA-approved drugs that kill Hookworms, Roundworms, and Whipworms. The active ingredients in this product are highly effective against tapeworms as well.
This product is available in different sizes such as 8 oz., 16 oz., 32 oz., 128 oz., and 1-gallon jug that can be used on puppies of age 6 weeks or above and dogs weighing 25 lbs or less. For cats weighing 4 lbs or over it comes in a 4 oz bottle size only; however, there is no size restriction on the weight of these pets if they weigh more than 4 pounds so you can still use this dewormer if your cat weighs above 5 pounds (1 lb = 0.454 kg).
PetArmor Sure Shot 2x Liquid Dewormer for Puppies & Dogs
As a veterinarian, the most important thing to consider when choosing an over-the-counter dewormer is whether it’s safe for your pet and won’t cause any adverse reactions. In this case, PetArmor Sure Shot 2x Liquid Dewormer for Puppies & Dogs contains two safe ingredients in pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel.
Pyrantel pamoate is a derivative of avermectin B1a which has been used to treat roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, bots, and ascarids in both humans and dogs since 1986. This ingredient will kill parasitic worms in your dog’s digestive tract within hours after being ingested without causing damage to their organs or kidneys due to its non-systemic mode of action (i.e., it doesn’t get carried throughout the body).
Praziquantel is another well-researched ingredient that can eradicate tapeworms from your dog’s digestive tract by attacking them at different stages during their life cycle so they don’t have time to mature into adults before dying off completely – thus preventing reoccurrences.
Dosage Of Application
- If you’re using Hartz Worming Plus for Dogs, the recommended dosage of application is 1/2 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight.
- This can be given every three months, provided your pet has no adverse reactions to it.
- It should be administered either with food or water, but never on an empty stomach.
- Do not give this product to puppies under 6 weeks of age.
In the unlikely event that you give your dog more than the recommended dosage of this medication, there are some symptoms to be on the lookout for:
- Loss of appetite
- Muscle tremors (which may be accompanied by stiffening and trembling)
The most severe potential side effects include death, coma, seizures, and muscle paralysis.
Overdosing is a serious concern when it comes to worm medication. It can be fatal if you give your dog too much of the drug. In fact, many dogs have died from overdoses of these medications. So make sure that you only give them what their vet recommended and follow all instructions carefully.