The Chihuahua (affectionately called ‘Chi‘) may descend either from tiny, hairless Chinese dogs or the South American ‘Techichi’, a favored pet which was buried with the deceased in the hope they would lead the way to the afterlife. Modern Chihuahuas hail from Chihuahua, Mexico. They are the smallest dog breed and the oldest North American breed. They rocketed to popularity in the U.S when famous Latin musician Xavier Cugat made a Chihuahua his constant public companion, and remain extremely popular to this day. Famous Chihuahuas include the Taco Bell Chihuahua, Ren from ‘Ren and Stimpy’, and Ducky, the 2007 ‘Guinness Book of World Records’ winner for ‘World’s Smallest Living Dog’.
The Chihuahua is graceful, small and compact; it is slightly longer than it is tall. It has a saucy expression and an alert, terrier-like attitude. It should move out at a swift pace with good reach and drive. Its coat can be smooth, with soft, glossy hair or long, with soft straight or wavy hair and fringed ears.
The saucy Chihuahua has earned its place as a favored toy dog because of its intense devotion to a single person. It is reserved with strangers but good with other household dogs and pets. Some try to be protective, but they are not very effective. Some may be quite bold; others may be timid. It is often temperamental. Some bark.
Features of Chihuahua Dog
- Choose a Chihuahua breeder who provides health clearances for patellas and heart conditions.
- The Chihuahua is a long-lived breed; expect to care for him for up to 18 years.
- Chihuahuas are prone to shivering when they are cold, excited, or scared. Provide your Chihuahua with a sweater or coat when he goes outdoors in cold or wet weather.
- Chihuahuas can be unfriendly toward other dogs if they’re not socialized when young. Chihuahuas don’t back down from other dogs and this can cause a problem if they encounter a large aggressive dog.
- Don’t leave your Chihuahua unattended in the yard. He could be attacked by a hawk, other birds of prey, or larger dogs or coyotes.
- Chihuahuas can be reserved with strangers. Choose a puppy that was whelped and raised in a home with a lot of human interaction.
- Chihuahuas are not the best dog to have when you have young children. Chihuahuas are fragile and a toddler may hurt the dog while playing. Most breeders won’t sell puppies to homes with children younger than eight years.
- The Chihuahua’s ears can be prone to ear wax build up and dry skin.
- Chihuahuas are happy as companions, but they do need 20 to 30 minutes of exercise daily and can go for much longer than you might expect. Monitor your Chihuahua, especially when he’s a puppy, so that he doesn’t wear himself out.
- Chihuahuas have larger than life personalities and will run your life if you let them. They can be destructive when bored and can become finicky eaters if their diet is fussed over. Establish ground rules and stick with them or you’ll find yourself giving up your comfortable chair because your beloved pet has told you to move.
- To get a healthy pet, never buy a puppy from a backyard breeder, puppy mill, or pet store. Find a reputable breeder who tests her breeding dogs for genetic health conditions and good temperaments.
Specification of Chihuahua Dog
|LIFE SPAN||10-18 years|
|BREED SIZE||small (0-25 lbs.)|
|GOOD WITH||seniors families cats|
|TEMPERAMENT||gentle anxious playful|
|COAT LENGTH/TEXTURE||short long|
|COLORS||brown / chocolate / liverblackgraybluewhitefawn|
|PATTERNS||bicolortricolorbrindlemerleblack and tanliver and tanblue and tan|
|OTHER TRAITS||easy to traineasy to groomprone to health issuesapartment-friendlygood for first-time pet ownersstrong loyalty tendencies|
Prices of Chihuahua Dog
$300 – $2000