Lantus Injection (Insulin Glargine) aids in the control of diabetes mellitus in cats. An injectable drug, this medication works to regulate your diabetic cat’s blood sugar. When blood glucose levels are normal, your cat’s body will work efficiently and diabetes symptoms will be fewer. This long-acting insulin is designed to be injected beneath the skin.This product comes in a 10mL vial or a 3mL pre-filled pen. The pre-filled pen does not come with a needle – this is sold separately.
Lantus Insulin (insulin glargine injection) is an injectable, long-acting insulin for treating diabetes mellitus in dogs and cats. Lantus Insulin controls blood glucose levels to help alleviate the symptoms of diabetes. It is used with U-100 insulin syringes only (sold separately). Lantus Insulin requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
Lantus is an insulin that was designed for once-per-day use in humans. It turns out that Lantus, when dosed twice per day, is excellent at controlling feline diabetes and getting cats into remission. The generic name for Lantus is insulin glargine. There is no true generic version of Lantus but there is a biosimilar drug that was released in 2016 called Basaglar. Lantus is manufactured by Sanofi which is a profit-driven company.
- Lantus is a U-100 insulin (100 units of insulin per 1 mL of fluid).
- Lantus comes in 10 mL vials or 3 mL pens.
- Lantus is prescription only in the United States, OTC in Canada.
- Lantus should be refrigerated at all times.
- Lantus should be handled gently.
- Lantus that is refrigerated and handled gently can last 3-6 months from date of first use.
Features of Lantus Insulin For Cats
- Insulin is a hormone that is naturally produced by the pancreas to convert sugar (glucose) in the blood to energy for the body.
- Insulin therapy is prescribed to dogs and cats with diabetes. Diabetic animals are either unable to produce their own insulin or cannot use it properly.
- Insulin helps treat diabetes in cats and dogs by normalizing the glucose level in the blood.
- The insulin in Lantus is Insulin Glargine, a U-100, long-acting insulin. U-100 means that each milliliter of insulin is divided into 100 dosing units.
Dosage & Administration
Insulin is a liquid given by injection. Your veterinarian and staff will show you how to properly handle, measure, and give Insulin to your dog or cat. For detailed instructions, see our Patient Information Sheet. Always follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian. If you have difficulty giving the medication, contact your veterinarian. This medication should only be given to the pet for whom it was prescribed.
USE WITH U-100 INSULIN SYRINGES ONLY. Lantus Insulin requires refrigeration until opened (in-use). Overnight shipping is required and additional shipping charges are applicable. Rarely, allergic reactions such as hives, difficulty breathing, or swelling of the lips, tongue, or face can occur. Seek emergency veterinary medical attention if your pet experiences an allergic reaction, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), hypersensitivity, or hypokalemia. Never share a syringe between pets, as infections can be passed. Do not use with thiazolidinediones (TZDs) medication.
Prices of Lantus Insulin For Cats
$61.99 – $329.99