Goats are a minor ruminant species. There are less than 1.9 million ( 1,900,000) goats in the USA (2013, USDA) and the number is decreasing, so very few medications are made for them. Drug development, testing, and approval costs seldom justify focusing on such small numbers. Almost all of the medications we used to treat goats, prescription or over the counter, are “off label” or “extra label” usage. Lack of government approval does not mean that such products are dangerous or ineffective with goats. You as a goat raiser must learn which to use and how to use them.
In many areas of the USA veterinarians know little to nothing about goats. Goat producers must rely on knowledgeable breeders for the help they need to raise healthy goats. Find yourself a knowledgeable mentor and stick with that person until you decide the information is incorrect. Contacting multiple people on the Internet will only confuse you and may hurt your goats. There is much bad information about goats on the Internet, especially on social media.
NUFLOR (florfenicol) is an injectable antibiotic indicated for treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) (with Mannheimia haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, and Histophilus somni), bovine interdigital phlegmon (with Fusobacterium necrophorum and Bacteroides melaninogenicus) in cattle.
Features and Benefits of Nuflor For Goats
Injectable Solution controls all three major bacterial causes of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) and even treats foot rot.
Unique, fast-acting, long-lasting antibiotic for treatment of bovine respiratory disease, foot rot and control of respiratory disease in cattle at high risk of developing bovine respiratory disease.
- Kills two major bacteria that cause BRD: Mannheimia haemolytica and Histophilus somni. Begins killing within 30 minutes and eliminates 99.9% of those bacteria within 24 hours. Continues to kill for 68 hours and remains inhibitory through 96 hours.1
- Inhibits the third major bacterial cause of BRD: Pasteurella multocida.2
- Effective, versatile, broad spectrum therapy in the hospital and on arrival of cattle at risk of developing BRD.
- Lowers risk with high-risk cattle – treat on arrival.
- Fewer repulls and retreatments.
- Easy to use, requires no mixing or reformulation and isn’t contraindicated in automatic injection equipment.
NUFLOR Injectable Solution is indicated for treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD), associated with Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, and Histophilus somni, and for the treatment of bovine interdigital phlegmon (foot rot, acute interdigital necrobacillosis, infectious pododermatitis) associated with Fusobacterium necrophorum and Bacteroides melaninogenicus. Also, it is indicated for the control of respiratory disease in cattle at high risk of developing BRD associated with Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida, and Histophilus somni.
Dosage and method of administration
IM route: 20 mg/kg bodyweight (1ml/15kg) to be administered twice 48 hours apart.
1. SC route: 40 mg/kg bodyweight (2ml/15kg) to be administered once only
2. The dose volume given at any one injection site should not exceed 10ml.
3. The injection should only be given in the neck.
Prices of Nuflor For Goats
$40.19 – $64.90