You should start them on a nourishing milk-based diet to ensure that your pup get the right dose of essential nutrients every day. While milk is the most appropriate food for young puppies, you can’t just feed any regular milk to them.
Ideally, you puppy should only drink the dam’s milk. It contains just the right amount of fats, proteins, vitamins, and other nutrients for a puppies overall physical development. Nevertheless, there might be situations when you don’t have access to the dam’s milk to feed your pup.
To begin with, the mother may not be producing as much milk to feed the entire litter of puppies. Worse still, she might even reject a pup or remain absent during the first few weeks. In such a scenario, it is only natural to wonder how you can provide your pup with the adequate nourishment. “What can I substitute for puppy milk?”
What Kind Of Milk Can Puppies Drink?
If you have ever entered this query on Google, you will know the diverse array of puppy milk replacement options, including:
- Goat milk
- Evaporated milk
- Cow’s milk
- Milk replacer (puppy formula)
The sheer variety of products available in the market can seem overwhelming, especially for new dog parents. It is essential to find the right puppy milk substitute that provides your pup with all the essential nutrients. Store-bought milk replacement formula should be your first preference. While it is readily available at most pet stores and vet clinic, there will be times when you will run out of your regular supply of milk replace. Homemade milk replacement using ingredients, such as evaporated milk and plain yogurt, will come to your rescue in such situations. In this blog, we will take a look at the pros and cons of using evaporated milk for puppies. We will also discuss simple ways of bottle feeding evaporated milk to your pup. Let us get started.
What Is Evaporated Milk?
Simply put, evaporated milk is unsweetened condensed milk. It is obtained by removing 60% of the water content from regular cow’s milk. This gives it a slightly thicker and creamier consistency and a more caramalized color compared to normal milk.After removing the water content, evaporated milk is homogenized to uniformly mix the fat into the milk. The concentration of the milk makes it more nutrient-rich and ensures that it remains shelf-stable for longer.
Typically, evaporated milk is available in the following variants:
- Whole evaporated milk
- Reduced fat evaporated milk
- Fat-free evaporated milk
So, what makes evaporated milk such a useful puppy milk substitute. Let us find out.
Evaporated Milk For Puppies: How Useful Is It?
To begin with, here are some interesting stats about evaporated milk:
- Whole evaporated milk twice the amount of fats, proteins, and crabs than regular cow’s milk.
- It contains high concentration of minerals like calcium, zinc, and magnesium.
- The nutrient concentration of whole evaporated milk is fairly close to that of dog’s milk.
This makes whole evaporated milk a great choice for making homemade puppy milk replacer. But is it safe for puppies? What about younger puppies? Can 3-week-old puppies drink evaporated milk? The good news is that using evaporated milk for puppies is absolutely safe, provided you give it in the right quantity.
Moreover, it is a far better puppy milk substitute than pasteurized cow’s milk, which can cause diarrhea and sinus problems. Likewise, its nutrient profile is far superior to that of goat’s milk. Ideally, you should never feed regular cow’s milk to puppies. This is because cow’s milk is pasteurized and doesn’t fulfill the nutritional needs of young and growing pups. While goat’s milk is easier to digest, its high lactose content makes it unsuitable for long-term use for dogs. However, you can use evaporated milk for pups as young as 3-weeks old.
Young nursing puppies need to be fed every two to three hours, day and night. During each 24-hour period, your little one should be receiving 8cc or approximately 1/4 ounce of canine milk replacement formula per ounce of body weight. Newborn puppies need to eat about every two hours, but you get a bit of extra time between feedings when the puppies are 3 weeks old. At that age, they need to eat about every four hours.
Generally, young puppies need about one-half cup of water every two hours. You’ll want to monitor your puppy to make sure he’s drinking enough . . . and not too much. Older puppies that have already been weaned generally need between one half ounce and one ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. Newborn puppies can go two hours without eating up until they are 3 weeks old after birth. … A newborn puppy needs to eat every two hours up to three weeks old. From three weeks to four weeks old, the puppy needs to feed every five hours. Puppies less than two weeks of age should be fed every 3-4 hours. Puppies two to four weeks of age do well with feedings every 6-8 hours. When the puppies are 3-4 weeks old, you can start feeding them milk replacer at room temperature. When feeding orphaned puppies, it’s best to use commercial animal baby bottles; you can use an eyedropper in an emergency, but it does not allow normal sucking as well as a nipple.
When they’re about 3 weeks of age you can introduce puppies to water by providing a shallow water dish outside the whelping box or sleeping area. Puppies at this age are beginning to explore their environments and will be able to find the dish. At 3 to 5 weeks, depending on your dog’s breed size, take good quality puppy kibble and soak it 2 parts water and 1 part kibble. Some kibble needs more water than others. The kibble will hold it’s shape and soak up the water. You want to use as much water as you can and have the kibble pieces swell up and go very soft. Three weeks old, FIRST solids. Soaked kibble is best for pups this age. In this particular case the pups were not being cared for by the dam and were given mush. It turned out to be a little too early, but it was worth a try considering the circumstances. At 3 to 5 weeks, depending on your dog’s breed size, take good quality puppy kibble and soak it 2 parts water and 1 part kibble. Some kibble needs more water than others. The kibble will hold its shape and soak up the water. You want to use as much water as you can and have the kibble pieces swell up and go very soft. Give the food to the puppies in their eating area, not in their potty area or play area. The puppies will be able to pick up a piece of soaked kibble and eat it. If they are not ready to do this they are not ready to eat solid food. A dam will often let you know it is time to start feeding the pups solid food when you see her regurgitate her kibble for them. It is a sure sign that soaked kibble is what you should be feeding them. Some kibble needs more water than others. It might be Iams, Purina, Science Diet, Nature’s Recipe, etc. If he is eating it, after a couple of days, reduce the amount of water in the mixture by half, then to 3 parts food to 1 part water, until you are just giving the puppy dry dog food. You can also begin weaning puppies as soon as you see and notice that their mother is running out of milk supply or is getting thin. The transition from mother’s milk to puppy gruel is not only designed to allow a puppy to eat on his own, but to properly provide essential vitamins and nutrients it needs to grow. Required fields are marked *. Puppy gruel recipes are aimed to facilitate an easier weaning transition from plain liquids to very soft foods. Each week you should decrease the amount of wet ingredients, water or milk, so that the consistency gets thicker. Rice cereal should only be used briefly as puppies need to learn to eat puppy food, which is designed to meet the daily nutritional needs of growing dogs. This process begins with the introduction of solids more and more until the puppy no longer needs to nurse, or when the mother begins to run out of milk supply and begins to thin. introduce your puppies to food by making a mush for them to lap up. Place canned or dry puppy food in a blender or food processor with enough water to make a semi-solid gruel with the consistency of oatmeal. Puppies will end up wearing more of the gruel than eating it during their initial investigation into the world of food. This is a normal part of learning how to eat. When they’re done “eating,” mom will clean them off.