Sky Pencil Holly is a shrub that grows to be between 5 and 10 feet tall. It produces narrow elliptic to obovate leaves that grow along the branch, as well as small white flowers that bloom during the spring months (May to June). This ornamental plant is notable for its unique shape.
The Sky Pencil Holly is an easy plant to grow and maintain, but it does require some care. The best fertilizer for Sky Pencil Holly is one that contains nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium to encourage healthy growth and strong roots. These nutrient elements must be available in desired proportion as the plant grows for effectiveness.
This article will discuss which fertilizers are best for growing Sky Pencil Holly plants, the fertilizer requirements and recommendations as well as how to apply them correctly so that your plants can thrive. We hope it helps.
Brief About Sky Pencil Holly
The Sky Pencil Holly, also known as Ilex crenata, is a perennial shrub that grows up to 10 feet tall and generally has an oval-shaped canopy. It is native to Japan and East Asia, but it’s grown in many other parts of the world as an ornamental plant, particularly in North America. This tree does best in USDA zones 6 through 9.
With pruning, the height of the sky pencil holly can be maintained between 6 and 8 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide. The leaves are small, oval, shiny, dark green, and narrow (1/4 to 1 inch long) with serrulate margins. The flowers are greenish-white in color and appear along the stems in the leaf axils in late spring. The Sky Pencil Holly is also sometimes called Japanese holly or box-leaved holly. The Sky Pencil Holly is primarily grown for its foliage and its fascinating shape.
The Sky Pencil Holly needs full sun for best growth and blooming, but it can tolerate some shade with at least 6 hours of sunlight per day. It does best in moist soil with good drainage. In areas with very wet soil, it may need to be planted near a wall or other barrier that will help keep the roots from becoming waterlogged. It prefers acidic soil with a pH of 5-6 but will tolerate more neutral soils as well as slightly alkaline ones (pH 7-8). The Sky Pencil Holly does not like windy locations or heavy foot traffic so you should avoid these areas when planting your tree.
The Sky Pencil Holly is a slow-growing plant that should not be pruned or trimmed before it reaches the desired height. Once you have the desired height of your Sky Pencil Holly, you can trim it to maintain its shape and size. To do this, use hedge shears or a pruning saw to cut off any dead branches or twigs on the plant. Trim off any branches that are growing too close together so that they do not overlap one another as this will make them susceptible to disease and pests such as spider mites or aphids.
Fertilizer Requirement For Sky Pencil Holly
All plants require three (3) essential nutrients, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. These nutrients are fundamental; they must be available to plants in different forms and proportions all year round. The Sky Pencil Holly is not an exemption; The best fertilizer for Sky Pencil Holly must contain Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and potassium in appropriate quantities.
Every nutrient present in any fertilizer plays an important role in the growth and development of the plant. Also, the purpose or primary product of any plant determines the level of nutrients such plant needs. Sky Pencil Holly is an ornamental plant grown primarily for its foliage. Nitrogen is the nutrient element that supports the growth of foliage in any plant. Hence, the fertilizer that contains a higher percentage of nitrogen will help the sky pencil holly develop greener foliage, particularly at the early stage of growth.
As the Sky Pencil Holly grows, its fertilizer requirement changes. Although it still needs nitrogen, the amount of nitrogen needed is reduced to give room for other nutrients like phosphorus and potassium. While nitrogen helps to grow the leaves of Sky Pencil Holly, potassium and phosphorus help the Sky Pencil Holly develop strong roots and strengthen the stems. These nutrients are needed when Sky Pencil Holly has been fully established. Other nutrient elements required by the Sky Pencil Holly are calcium, magnesium, and sulfur; these nutrients play essential roles in the overall growth and development of Sky Pencil Holly.
The bottom line is fertilizer for sky pencil holly must contain high levels of nitrogen (such as 25% or more), phosphorus (at least 5%), and potassium (10%). If you have sandy soil or if your plant is planted in a container, use an organic fertilizer that is high in nitrogen. This will help promote healthy growth and foliage coloration.
Fertilizer Recommendation For Sky Pencil Holly
Fertilizers for Sky Pencil Holly come in different forms; we have liquid fertilizers and granules fertilizers. Similarly, there are organic and inorganic fertilizers that can be applied to sky pencil holly based on their mode of action. The slow-release granular fertilizer is the best for sky pencil holly; these fertilizers are made from natural ingredients like cottonseed meal and molasses.
Slow-release fertilizers are more effective than synthetic fertilizers; they stay in the soil for a long period and supply the sky pencil holly required nutrient, more Nitrogen, regularly. Here are some recommended slow-release fertilizers for Sky pencil holly:
- Power Si Granular is the only, first of its kind slow release granular formula containing stabilized silica, and other proprietary ingredients.
- This combination plays a key role in releasing locked up nutrients from the soil.
- Power Si Granular provides a stable matrix to keep silica in an active state, which is available to the plants for an extended period (up to 30 days after application).
- facilitates fast, visible and structured periods of both vegetative and flowering growth.
Jobe’s Palm Tree Fertilizer Spikes 10-5-10 Time Release Fertilizer for All Outdoor Palm Trees, 5 Spikes per Package (3)
- 10-5-10 formula
- 5 palm spikes per selling unit
- Formulated with special micro-nutrients-sulfur, magnesium, iron, and zinc
- Additional nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium supplements other palm growing needs
Purple Cow Organics Raised Bed Mix, 1.5 Cubic Foot Bag, Safe & Naturally-Occurring Plant-Based, Small Farm or Garden Growing Media for Vegetables, Flowers, Fruits & More
- GROW HEALTHY FOOD- Purple Cow Organics Raised Bed Mix is an organic OMRI listed product. Have comfort knowing this mix has no harmful chemicals or heavy metals in it and you will grow safe and healthy vegetables, herbs, and fruits! It also is a plant-based compost mix which provides secondary and trace nutrients to your plants helping you grow nutrient dense food!
- PRODUCE, FLOWERS, AND SO MUCH MORE! Raised Bed Mix is a carefully crafted blend, perfect for growing your dream garden, from beets to blooms, and beyond.
- WEED SEED AND TOPSOIL FREE! Grow with confidence in the knowledge that your growing media includes all OMRI Listed ingredients and no topsoil or weed seeds
- HOLDS MOISTURE WELL! Water less often thanks to the sponge-like qualities of the organic matter provided by this compost-based mix
- PAIRS WELL! For best results use with Purple Cow Organics BioActive All-Purpose Fertilizer, Purple Cow BioActive Supercharger and/or Purple Cow CX-1!
How To Apply Fertilizer to Sky Pencil Holly
There are two ways to apply fertilizer for sky pencil holly: either into the soil or onto the surface of the soil. Applying a slow-release fertilizer directly into the soil is a great way to get nutrients where they need to go without having to worry about washing them away by watering too much or too little. Applying fertilizer directly onto the surface of the soil is another option if you’d prefer not to dig up any roots or disturb their growth pattern. This method can work when the Sky Pencil Holly is planted in pots.
You’ll want to make sure that you’re using a fertilizer with compost or manure as an ingredient; this helps give plants an extra boost of nitrogen and phosphorus, which are both key nutrients for sky pencil holly trees. The fertilizer should be applied during the cool part of the day; the soil should be loosened before applying the fertilizer. The sky pencil holly trees should be watered immediately after fertilizer application.
When To Apply Fertilizer to Sky Pencil Holly
The Sky Pencil Holly should be fertilized once a year preferably with a slow-releasing fertilizer; this will give your plant all the nutrients it needs throughout the season. The best time to fertilize Sky Pencil Holly is early spring and fall after a frost. At this time of year, the plant is beginning its growth cycle and needs more nutrients than it did in the previous summer months.
Tips for Applying Fertilizer on Sky Pencil Holly
Sky Pencil Holly is a fast-growing evergreen shrub with a beautiful, narrow silhouette. It grows best in full sun and well-drained soil, but it can also grow in partial shade. To encourage your Sky Pencil Holly to reach its full height and spread, it’s important to fertilize it regularly. Here are some tips for applying fertilizer to your Sky Pencil Holly:
1) Use a slow-release fertilizer instead of a liquid fertilizer if possible. This will help the nutrients reach your plants more slowly over time than they would otherwise
2) Water the plant lightly before applying fertilizer so the roots can absorb it better. 2. Water your plant well before applying the fertilizer to make sure it can soak into the soil properly.
3) Apply the fertilizer every spring after new growth starts to appear and every fall after the leaves have dropped (but don’t fertilize during winter).
4) Apply the fertilizer in a circular motion around each plant, beginning where you see new growth and working your way outward until you reach the edge of its canopy.
5) Use a fertilizer that includes an even mixture of all three macronutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. These are essential to plant growth and development, so make sure the formula includes them all.
Sky Pencil Holly Tree Benefits
1) The sky pencil holly tree beautiful foliage makes this shrub perfect for adding color without taking up too much space in your yard or garden area—especially if you have limited room.
2) Sky Pencil Holly trees are drought-resistant plants that need very little water once established in their growing environment; however, they do require frequent watering during their first growing season as well as during periods of drought throughout their lifetime in order to thrive properly.
3) Sky Pencil Holly trees can be used as windbreaks and barriers against harsh conditions such as cold weather or sandy soil conditions if planted near the home or other structures where they will be protected from strong winds or other harsh environmental factors like sun exposure or extreme temperatures during certain times of year (i.e., winter months).
4) They make excellent gifts because they grow quickly after planting and produce beautiful flowers.
Sky Pencil Holly is a very beautiful ornamental plant that can grow up to 15 feet tall. It is a tree that can be grown in containers and indoors as well. It is important to know the type of fertilizer Sky Pencil Holly needs and how it needs to be fertilized. The slow-release granular fertilizer is highly recommended for the Sky Pencil Holly and the best time to fertilize the Pencil Holly is early spring before new growth begins. This will ensure that you have healthy plants that are ready for transplanting into the ground or into larger containers if need be.