Herbs and spices can help you fight cervical cancer. Studies show that these herbs and spices are effective in treating cervical cancer. Herbs can be used to treat the symptoms of cervical cancer, prevent the disease from spreading, and provide relief from the pain associated with the condition. This article reveals the various herbs for cervical cancer treatments and some commercial supplements cervical cancer patients can use.
What is Cervical Cancer?
Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the cervix. The cervix is the lower part of the uterus, and the uterus is where a baby grows. Cervical cancer starts when cells on the surface of the cervix grow out of control, creating a mass. The mass may invade nearby tissue and organs, including the vagina, rectum, bladder, and ureters (the tubes that connect the kidneys to the bladder).
Cervical cancer is the second most common cancer among women. Cervical cancer is very common; In the United States, more than 12,000 women are diagnosed with it each year. The best way to prevent cervical cancer is through regular screening and early detection. There are many things you can do to help prevent cervical cancer. These include getting regular Pap tests, taking folic acid supplements before and during pregnancy, avoiding tobacco products, and limiting alcohol intake.
Herbs For Cervical Cancer
Herbal medicine has been a form of treatment that has been used for many years in treating different ailments including ailments that are peculiar to the female gender and affect the health of women. Such ailments usually cause changes in the cells of the vagina and cervix. Interestingly, scientists in modern times have been giving full support to the effectiveness and wisdom applied in traditional medicine.
There are so many ways herbal medicines can be used to cure ailments peculiar to women such as applying the herbal medicine on the area affected, inserting the medicine into the vagina of the woman, applying it to the cervix, or taken orally, all these in an effort to support the health of women’s reproductive organs.
But before any of these traditional choices can be used seeking the advice of a qualified doctor is usually recommended because sometimes using these herbs might require a change in diet or these herbs might clash with some drugs being taken previously. Especially when dealing with a disease such as cervical cancer which is a very serious and life-threatening health condition and should not be treated casually or taken lightly, therefore, whatever treatments or decisions concerning health should be supervised by the health care professional.
There are many herbs that may help with the treatment and prevention of cervical cancer. The most common herbs used include:
Tumeric is a member of the ginger family and has been used in the herbal medicine traditions and foods of India, China, Korea, and Japan for centuries. Tumeric is found in many anti-cancer formulas in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic Medicine. Curcumin, one of the active principles isolated from Tumeric is one of the most widely studied phytochemicals in modern science with over 100 known physiologic effects.
Curcumin is well known for its support of normal anti-oxidant function and its ability to support normal inflammation control and to enhance anti-tumor and anti-angiogenesis factors as well as normalizing cell cycling behavior and gene expression, turning off cancer promoter genes and turning on cancer suppressor genes. Curcumin has also been shown to enhance the effect of some chemotherapy drugs and protect against multi-drug resistance.
#2. Green Tea
Green Tea contains many biologically active plant chemicals, primarily phytopheonols, catechins, and flavonols which comprise over 30-40% of the dried leaves. Green Tea is known to enhance anti-tumor, anti-mutagenic, antioxidant, and cancer-preventive cellular functions. Green tea also has a positive effect on normal fat metabolism and cholesterol levels. The most studied compound in Green Tea is EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate)
Studies have shown that increased intake of Green Tea is associated with a lower risk of many cancers, including cervical cancer. Green Tea appears to act by affecting methylation and histones (DNA protection), cell cycle arrest and cell death, liver detoxification pathways as well as NFKb, a key factor in inflammation. Green Tea also enhances the effects of some chemotherapy agents leading to better treatment outcomes.
#3. Astragalus Root
Astragalus Root is one of the most commonly used herbs in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It is not only made into medicinal teas but it is also added to soups to make food medicine. Astragalus root enhances immune function and increases Natural Killer Cells. NK cells are part of the immune system and attack viruses and cancer cells.
Moreso, NK cells are a powerful way to promote immune function. Astragalus acts through the same pathways that are the target of many chemotherapy drugs including PARP inhibition and inhibition of the PI3K-Akt pathway so common in many womens cancers.
#4. Resveratrol, Grape Skin, Grape Seed
Resveratrol is in the family of plant stilbenes which have effects on cell cycle, growth factors, cancer cell proliferation, and several genes associated with aging and the development of cancer. Grapes skin and grape seeds are rich in plant polyphenols and flavonoids which support normal anti-oxidant, cell functions as well as effects upon gene protection and repair and inflammation function, all important to inhibition of cancer physiology. The saponins in Astragalus root have been shown to have anticarcinogenic and anti-apoptotic effects that promote the death of cancer cells.
#5. Ginger Root
Ginger Root is widely used in herbal medicine traditions worldwide. It is particularly significant for cancers that show high levels of inflammation, a characteristic of cervical cancer. Cervical cancer cells express high levels of inflammatory molecules such as NFkB. Ginger has broad effects on inflammatory control, including the particular ability to reduce the presence of NFkB, one of the most important pathways to control in cancer cells.
Ginger root is also active in lowering inflammatory cytokine molecules IL-6 and IL-8 which may be markers of cancer activity. Ginger root can be used in medicinal anti-cancer formulas, as a daily beverage or medicinal tea, and also added to food as part of an anti-cancer diet.
#6. Ursolic Acid Rich Herbs and Foods
Ursolic Acid is a component of many herbs, foods, and spices. Ursolic-rich herbs are often found in many traditional Chinese Herbal Anti-Cancer and Anti-Tumor Formulas. Ursolic Acid supports normal anti-inflammatory function and also inhibits the production of pro-angiogenic factors which may promote the spread and proliferation of tumor cells.
#7. Holy Basil
Holy basil is a herb that has been in use for centuries in the Indian tradition of Ayurvedic Medicine. Holy Basil is one of many herbs rich in Ursolic Acid. Other readily available sources of Ursolic Acid include Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Thyme, Lavender, Pomegranates, Apple Peels, and Cranberry Juice. These herbs and spices can be included regularly as part of a cancer-fighting diet.
Garlic extract (GE) has a prominent role in cancer prevention. It was well known because of its possible health benefits. This herb has free radical activity and a direct cytotoxic effect on cancer cells, particularly leukemia. The mechanisms by which garlic extract induces cytotoxic effects in cancer cells remain unknown. However, a significant decrease in cases of human leukemia (HL-60) was observed when the cells were treated with GE in a concentration and time-dependent manner.
Ajoene as one of the noticed compounds in garlic has been shown to inhibit proliferation and induce apoptosis of human leukemic cells and act as an antileukemic agent for acute myeloid leukemia therapy. The apoptosis activity of ajoene is possible through the mitochondria-dependent caspase cascade through a significant reduction of the antiapoptotic Bcl-2 that results in the release of cytochrome C and the activation of caspase-3.
List of Herbal Supplements For Cervical Cancer
Herbal supplements have been used for centuries to treat various conditions, including cancer. Here are some herbal supplements that may help prevent cervical cancer:
Quality of Life Premium Kinoko Platinum AHCC Herbal Supplement, 750mg of AHCC per Capsule, for Immune Support, Liver Function, Maintains Natural Killer Cell Activity, 1 Pack, 60 Veggie Capsules
Price : $74.96 ($1.25 / Count)
- THE WORLD’S LEADING IMMUNE HEALTH SUPPLEMENT: Quality of Life’s AHCC (with Acylated Alpha-Glucans) supplement is a proprietary blend of mushrooms designed to help support immune health, maintain optimal T-cell and natural killer cell activity and is used by over 1,000 clinics worldwide.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN IN OVER 30 HUMAN CLINICAL TRIALS: Our AHCC mushroom extract is comprised of several species of medicinal mushrooms including Shiitake and Mycelia. AHCC is unique in that while most mushrooms contain primarily Beta Glucans, AHCC is rich in Alpha Glucans, a type of polysaccharide with very potent immune enhancing effects.
- SUPERIOR AHCC QUALITY: Quality of Life’s AHCC is the most potent mushroom extract available. Our AHCC has been researched by Yale, Harvard and used by thousands of people worldwide. Unlike other AHCC Supplements, AHCC powder, mushroom supplements, mushroom extracts and active hexose correlated compounds, Quality of Life’s AHCC’s complex is clinically studied.
- MANUFACTURED IN GMP CERTIFIED FACILITY: All of our supplements are manufactured in a GMP-certified facility that adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices.
Herp Rescue Healing Power Vanish HPV Support Supplements Supports Healthy Immune Response 1450mg – Pure Shiitake Mushroom Extract & Red Marine Algae Supplements – Immune System Booster – 60 Capsules
Price : $21.99 ($0.37 / Count)
- Powerful Support of Healthy Immune Function: Healing Power Vanish HPV Support Supplements packs a unique formulation of potent, premium & rich ingredients that support a healthy immune response.
- YOU DESERVE THE BEST: Unlike ordinary shiitake mushroom capsules out there that just don’t work, our Support Supplements bring to you a safe & effective proprietary formulation of pure shiitake mushroom extract, red marine algae & allicin
- HIGH POTENCY: At 1450mg per serving, these Booster Supplements are designed to safely carry some of the highest active ingredients potency levels; Support and Healthy Immune system
- SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS + RED MARINE ALGAE + ALLICIN: Our formula couples 100% pure shiitake mushrooms extract with potent red marine algae, maybe two of the most effective natural support of healthy immune functions; Now with the added benefit of garlic allicin extract
- GIVE YOURSELF THE BEST CHANCE: Support your healthy immune system with our Support Supplements; Click ‘Add to Cart to order 60 capsules today
Theralogix Ovasitol Myo-Inositol & D-Chiro Inositol Powder 90 Day Supply | Optimal 40:1 Ratio of 4,000mg Myo Inositol & 100mg D-Chiro Inositol Daily | Hormonal & Ovarian Support for Women
Price : $87.00 ($6.16 / Ounce)
- OVARIAN & MENSTRUAL SUPPORT: with an evidence-based blend of myo-inositol and d-chiro inositol, Ovasitol is designed to promote optimal hormone levels in support of ovarian health, regular menstrual cycles, and fertility.* 90-day supply.
- 2X MORE INOSITOL: Ovasitol provides the clinically studied daily dose of 4,000mg myo-inositol and 100mg of d-chiro inositol, which is 2x more inositol per day than the other brands.
- OPTIMAL FORMULA: Each dose contains 2,000 mg myo-inositol and 50mg of d-chiro inositol to be taken twice per day, for a total daily dose of 4,000mg myo-inositol and 100mg of d-chiro inositol. This is the body’s normal ratio of 40:1. Studies have shown that taking a combination of these two forms, in this ratio, may be more beneficial than taking myo-inositol or D-chiro inositol alone.* Ovasitol is the least expensive, full-dose, 40:1 inositol supplement.
- EVIDENCE-BASED: Studies show inositol promotes healthy insulin levels, and supports regular menstrual cycles and ovarian health.* Ovasitol has been chosen for use in multiple university-based clinical trials.
- QUALITY: Made in the USA in a cGMP registered facility. Ovasitol is the first and only inositol supplement independently tested and certified by NSF International, an independent non-profit organization that verifies content accuracy, quality, and freedom of contaminants such as heavy metals. Dye-free, gluten free, vegan and no additives. Physician formulated and backed by Theralogix’s Medical Advisory Board.
Herbs are natural remedies used to treat various health conditions. They have been used since ancient times and are still very popular today. Herbs can be used to treat cervical cancer, as well as other types of cancer. The most popular herb used to treat cervical cancer is turmeric. Turmeric contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and can help prevent the growth of tumors. It also contains antioxidants that help prevent DNA damage caused by free radicals.