Dog Ate Cooking Oil: The Effects and Quick Solutions

Dogs are curious creatures that sometimes get into things they shouldn’t. Cooking oils may seem enticing to your dog, but ingesting cooking oil can be extremely dangerous to dogs. Just a small amount can cause serious health issues.

If your dog gets into a bottle of oil or licks up what dripped on the floor, don’t panic. This article will help with the quick action and treatment to help your dog recuperate and stay fit again.

My Dog Ate Cooking Oil What Do I Do:

How Much Oil Is Safe For Dogs?

Oils are major ingredients in dog food; they are added as a source of energy. This is to establish that oil is not overly bad for dogs. However, the quantity of oil a dog can eat must be controlled to evade adverse effects on dogs.

The quantity becomes worrisome if the dog, out of curiosity, eats more than it requires. Then, cooking oil can be extremely dangerous to the dog. The amount of oil that is safe for dogs depends on their weight. One teaspoon of oil per 30 pounds of the dog’s body weight is the maximum amount that can be safely given to a dog.

How To Know If Your Dog Ate Cooking Oil

Dogs can show several symptoms if they ingest cooking oil. The most common symptoms include:

– Vomiting: One of the first signs is repeated vomiting. The vomit may be yellow and liquid in nature from the oil irritating the stomach. 

– Diarrhea: Loose, watery stools are common as the oil passes through the digestive tract. Diarrhea may contain oil droplets or appear yellowish.

– Lethargy: Dogs may become tired and lethargic as their body tries to expel the oil. They may lack energy or interest in activities.

– Loss of appetite: Dogs tend to lose their appetite as they feel unwell from the oil. Eating may trigger nausea and vomiting. 

– Thirst: The vomiting and diarrhea can lead to dehydration, causing dogs to drink more water. Increased thirst may be noticeable.

– Drooling: Some dogs experiencing nausea may drool excessively or appear uncomfortable.

– Abdominal pain: The oil can cause inflammation in the stomach and intestines, leading to abdominal pain. Dogs may whine, stretch, or assume a prayer position.

Dangers of Dog Eating Cooking Oil

Dog owners need to be aware of some potential dangers if their dog ingests cooking oil. The primary risks are aspiration pneumonia and pancreatitis.

1) Pneumonia

Aspiration pneumonia can occur if the dog inhales some of the oil into their lungs. This can cause inflammation and infection in the lungs. Symptoms of aspiration pneumonia include coughing, breathing difficulties, fever, and lethargy. It’s a serious condition that requires prompt veterinary treatment with antibiotics and supportive care.

2) Pancreatitis

Pancreatitis is another potential complication if a dog ingests a large amount of oil. The pancreas releases digestive enzymes that can start digesting the pancreas itself, causing severe inflammation.

Symptoms of pancreatitis include vomiting, abdominal pain, lethargy, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. Pancreatitis can range from mild to life-threatening. Dogs with pancreatitis need intensive veterinary care with IV fluids, pain management, and other supportive treatments.

3) Gastrointestinal Upset

Ingestion of oil can also lead to gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea. The oil can irritate the stomach and intestinal lining. In some cases, it can obstruct if large amounts of oil solidify in the intestines.

So, it’s important to get prompt veterinary care if a dog ingests more than just a small taste of the oil, to check for these potentially dangerous effects and provide appropriate treatment. Quick action can help prevent a mild case from becoming life-threatening.

Treatment For Dog That Ate Cooking Oil

If your dog has ingested cooking oil recently (within the past 2 hours), the first step is to induce vomiting. This can help get the oil out of their system before it is digested and causes more extensive issues.

To induce vomiting at home, give your dog 3% hydrogen peroxide orally (1 teaspoon per 5 lbs body weight). Mix it with a little water or broth to make it easier to swallow. Then take your dog outside and wait 10-15 minutes. The hydrogen peroxide will cause your dog to vomit up the contents of their stomach.

It’s important not to induce vomiting if it’s been longer than 2 hours since they ingested the oil. At that point, it has likely moved past the stomach and vomiting won’t help.

After inducing vomiting, call your veterinarian right away. Even if you were able to get your dog to vomit, the oil may still cause issues like aspiration pneumonia. Your vet will want to examine your dog and provide any needed treatment based on their symptoms. They may induce vomiting again at the vet’s office or provide medications to control vomiting, diarrhea, and other effects.

Don’t wait to see if symptoms develop before calling the vet. Get ahead of any potential problems by seeking veterinary advice immediately after your dog drinks cooking oil. Your quick action can help avoid serious complications.

How To Prevent Dogs From Ingesting Cooking Oil

-Keep cooking oils properly stored and away from pets. Oils should be kept in their original containers if possible, and stored up high in cupboards that pets cannot access.

-Be vigilant when cooking with oil to watch for any spills or drips on the floor or countertops. Clean up thoroughly after cooking. Do not leave used pans with oil residue out where dogs can access and lick them.

-When adding oil to food, make sure to keep the oil bottle capped and do not let your dog beg while cooking. Secure trash cans containing empty oil bottles or food waste with oil.

-Use baby gates to keep pets out of the kitchen when cooking if needed. Teach children not to give table scraps or human food containing oil to pets.

-Be aware of oils that may spill outdoors, like from grills or deep fryers. Clean these areas thoroughly and do not allow pets access right after cooking.

With proper care and storage of cooking oils, plus close supervision when cooking, dog owners can help prevent accidental oil ingestion.


Cooking oil is not typically bad for dogs in small quantities. However, it can cause gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea and vomiting, especially when consumed in large quantities. If your dog ate cooking oil and is exhibiting symptoms of illness, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. Some cases require medication or even hospitalization to treat the issue.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!